Air conditioning is a modern comfort that many of us have come to rely on in our daily lives. But have you stopped to consider whether it could be making you sick? As the summer months approach, it’s essential to understand the potential health risks associated with air conditioning and what you can do to minimize them.
Although your air conditioner may not directly cause you to become ill, it does create an environment that does. You can easily avoid illnesses associated with air conditioning by paying attention to a few things, such as maintenance and cleanliness. Search for “the most reliable AC companies near me” and contact professionals near you to regularly maintain your AC unit to prevent it from being hazardous to your and your loved ones’ health. Contact Wylie Mechanical to schedule your consultation if you’re in Cornwall, ON, and nearby areas.
The Risks Associated With Air Conditioning
Spread of disease: Air conditioning systems can circulate various strains of bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens, which can cause the spread of illness. The filters in AC units can trap these pathogens, but if they are not regularly cleaned or replaced, they can continue to circulate in the air.
- Dry air: Air conditioning can cause air to become too dry, leading to dry skin, throat, and nasal passages. It can also increase the risk of infection since dry air can make it easier for viruses and bacteria to survive and spread. Search for “air conditioner repair near me” if you suspect your AC unit is not performing optimally to avoid these risks.
- Allergic reactions: Dust, mold and other allergens can accumulate in AC units, which can cause allergic reactions in some people. Allergens can circulate in the air and trigger symptoms such as sneezing, itching, and running nose.
- Respiratory problems: Air conditioning can worsen respiratory problems, such as asthma, by circulating air that is too dry or cold. Dry air can severely irritate the throat and nasal passages, while cold air can trigger bronchoconstriction, making breathing difficult.
- Carbon monoxide poisoning: Some air conditioning units can emit carbon monoxide, a toxic gas that can cause symptoms such as headache, dizziness, and nausea. It is mainly a risk for older AC units that are not adequately maintained or for portable AC units that are not properly ventilated.
How to Minimize the Risks of Air Conditioning
Do not panic. Air conditioners making you sick might be frightening, considering how much we rely on them. But these negative impacts on our health can easily be prevented by following the following steps.
- Regular maintenance and cleaning of air conditioning systems will reduce the spread of germs and minimize the buildup of allergens and pollutants. Simply search for “best AC companies near me” and choose from the best HVAC service providers in your area.
- Keep windows and doors closed to prevent the entry of pollutants from outside.
- Get a smart thermostat to maintain an ideal room temperature.
- Install and use a humidifier to add moisture to the indoor air and counteract the drying effects of air conditioning.
Use a carbon monoxide detector in the same room as your AC unit to alert you to any dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.
Trust Wylie Mechanical for Your Air Conditioning Needs
Wylie Mechanical is a reputable air conditioning repair and maintenance company serving the Ottawa area. Our team of trained and experienced technicians is equipped to handle all of your air conditioning needs, from repairs to installations and regular maintenance. Wherever you live, search for “air conditioner repair near me” and contact the nearby professionals to repair and maintain your AC unit.
Air conditioning can indeed make you sick, but by taking a few simple steps and entrusting your air conditioning needs to the experts at Wylie Mechanical, you can minimize the risks and enjoy the comfort of air conditioning with peace of mind.
Contact Us Today for all Your Air Conditioning Needs